Sunday 10 October 2010

Pumpkin Lights for Our Grandchildren Made from a Small Canning Jar

designed by Marilyn Wallace~October 2010 copyrighted

First of all I made one with a big mayo jar & I just didn't like it.... I wanted to make it smaller so I looked around & saw my small canning jars... Perfecto!!!
I bought some orange tissue paper & cut them into about 2" strips...long enough so the bottom of the jar can be covered...Cut on the folds of the tissue paper. I used a light decoupage glue(Anitas) & started in small areas to apply it...Just water down thick decoupage glue if necessary....Using just one layer of the tissue paper, place the tissue strips straight up & down; use your sponge brush to apply gently as the tissue is very fragile at this point.....& it will tear off if you use your fingers.... Pat the tissue down gently too with the brush......

Here is the method I used to make the appearance of creases that pumpkins have; overlap the tissue for the width of the groove you want...... The double tissue covering these sections are darker & simulate the creases a pumpkin has...


You can paint a Halloween face on but I googled cute pumpkin face & printed off the face....I cut the eyes & mouth out from the picture & decoupaged them on... I used the back of the canning jar for the face...Cut out two faces if you wish to have a 2 sided pumpkin....You could invert the mouth to make the other side a sad face..... Brush on a coat of High Gloss decoupage....when tissue is completely dry on the jar.... I used Aleenes.

I placed a battery tea light inside so it would glow in the dark.... when turned on...I glued my canning jar lid & cap together & punched a hole in the lid big enough so the tea light flame only could fit through.... I glued the tea light to the cap as well..... This little tealight flame gives the appearance of the stem of the pumpkin & it lights up which gives it extra charm...

Happy Halloween~Marilyn

6 comments:

Cyndi Beane Henry said...

Just adorable! Thanks for sharing!

MKHOE said...

You are very welcome, Cyndi......

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea, Thanks for sharing it. Hubby has lots of those jars..

Tinks.Mess said...

Absolutely adorable! I can’t wait to make these for my nieces. Thank you Marilyn, not just for these but all the rest as well!

MKHOE said...

Lynda~I am so glad you are going to make some for your neices....It is so easy & fast to make.... I plan on making more.... Marilyn

MKHOE said...

Hi Draco220~You are very welcome.... dh probably won't miss them.... hee hee